Friday, May 4, 2007

Is This Real?


Dinosaur Jr. on Letterman.

Prefix remarks "Dudes haven't lost a step." I think I'm going to have to disagree.

Last week, I received a promo copy of Dinosaur Jr's latest record, "Beyond." Upon first listen, I wasn't nearly impressed as I thought I would be. The album doesn't carry itself with the same swagger of "Bug," "Where You Been," or "You're Living All Over Me." Make no mistake, this is far better than the lonely days of J. Mascis as Dinosaur Jr, circa "Hand It Over" - dudes are as true to form to their salad days as can be. Arguably, with time comes change, with change comes new ideas and with new ideas, new songs (there lies the problem.) The '90s are in hindsight (weird, huh?) and with that said, maybe the regrouping of the band coupled with their step into the new millenium made for an ill fated combination? Well, not quite ill fated, just unsatisfying.

Save for "Lightning Bulb" (my favorite jam on the record by far), "Beyond" underdelivers. Thanks J, Murph, and Lou for the triumphant return (my favorite kind, at that) but I think I'll stick to yer classics. Agree or disagree, dig this for nostalgia's sake:


"Freak Scene"


"No Bones"

Please, don't mistake my dissapointment in "Beyond" as indifference to the band's return - first step Dinosaur Jr. set on LA soil (with So Fresh faves Awesome Color in tow), I'm there.

No comments: