Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bicycle Man



Several weeks ago, I quit smoking cigarettes, to my own miserable benefit. My methods avoided nicorette replacement substances and focused on positivity and natural habits to get myself through the obstacles of stress. That said, two good friends of mine offered me their spare bicycle (a busted, red beach cruiser) and we started riding in North Hollywood, nearly every night. Night rides became day rides, as I started riding the same bicycle from my apartment in West Hollywood to my work Downtown, tired of sitting in traffic. Last week, I took the next step and purchased my very own street bicycle and have been riding everywhere since. Let me tell you, I am a better man for it.

What I was unaware of, until recently, in my newfound appreciation of riding, was the greater community of people just like me, who choose to ride their bicycles instead of driving cars. As if that find wasn't exciting enough, I discovered online communities like, Midnight Ridazz and Bike Boom, that support and nourish the bicycle culture in Los Angeles. On those sites, you can find group rides daily in yer community and all over the greater Los Angeles area.

Two weeks ago, I went on a ride through West Hollywood with a group of people. Nearly one hundred members strong, this diverse crowd of people rode all over Los Angeles, stopping every so often in a nearby parking lot to congregate with each others, drink beer, smoke pot, and listen to music (I swear I heard the Germs.) Positive vibes all around.

Below is a Midnight Ridazz ride. Look at how many people showed!



In my short life, I've already caught myself becoming increasingly skeptical and critical of human beings, which is probably why this is so exciting to me. The discovery of DIY repair shops like the Bicycle Kitchen, where the self service of the community supports the existence of the shop, only supplements my excitement.

Like Hov said (circa '98), "How many y'all wanna ride tonight?"

No comments: