Friday, April 20, 2007

Hey Day



Casey and I were privileged enough to experience an event worth far more than the price of admission at the REDCAT Theatre last night. Lavender Diamond, backed by an orchestra, and Indian Jewelry were performing!


A taste of Indian Jewelry.

Indian Jewelry began the night by filling the REDCAT with a detached ambience - tribal inspired drumming (hence, Indian Jewelry?), melodic guitar patterns, the ever present strobe light, and a heavy synthesizer to boot. Sans orchestra (I'd originally assumed otherwise), Indian Jewelry seemed to wow half the audience and scare the other. Me? I loved it, save the cliche distorted video montage.



After a brief intermission appeared Lavender Diamond, with orchestra in tow. In person, no matter the time or place, Becky Stark is incredibly warm and personable. I find her passion for positivity heartfelt and inspiring. We could all use some more positivity in our lives, don't you think?


Lavender Diamond performing "I'll Never Lie Again (Clip)"

Lavender Diamond's positive vibes were in full effect. Considering the fantastic orchestral arragements by pianist Steven Gregoropoulos and the addition of the ever modest Devon Williams (his first show with the band, according to Becky), the band far exceeded my grandest expecations. Yeah, they were that good.

And then, when everything was all said and done (post "You Broke My Heart" encore with orchestral improvisation), a well deserved...




Standing ovation - Smiles all around. A truly incredible event!

In related news, I wanted to share with you that I received Lavender Diamond's debut full length, "Imagine Our Love," the other day, and it is a fantastic recording. Really, the album is chalk full of positive jams, my favorites being "Garden Rose," "Like An Arrow," "Here Comes One," and of course, "Open Your Heart." Please, head to yer local record store May 8th and support one of the best releases of the year!

1 comment:

Cali said...

Matzah,

Dude. I totally agree. That Lavender Diamond record is incredible!