Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Abandon Shjip



San Fran's got a heavy physch scene, man. A favorite of mine from up north, Wooden Shjips (yes, that is the correct spelling), are doin' their thing and their doin' it well. March 1st, the Shjips will be doin' their thing with Roky Erickson at the Noise Pop festival in San Francisco and chances are, you've never heard of them.

I discovered Wooden Shjips after reading Jay Hinman's review on Agony Shorthand (RIP) and ordered their first record, the Shrinking Moon For You 10", right away. It arrived in the mail about four days later and I've been stoked on the band ever since. The moment I heard "Shrinking Moon For You", I heard Spacemen 3, Suicide, and lots of other lovely influences and I totally understood what these dudes were going for.

If yer not already impressed by "Shrinking Moon For You," check out the band's video for "Dance, California".

Holy Mountain smartly picked up the Shjips for their first LP, which will be released sometime in 2007. I also hear Sub Pop may be releasing a 7" from the Shjips? Untouchable.

No comments: