Sunday, February 4, 2007

Grindin'


Nick Cave and (some of) the Bad Seeds are back as Grinderman. I was lucky enough to score a copy (thanks BitTorrent!) of their self titled debut album (out April 10 on Anti) and gave it a listen today (I lost interest in the Superbowl fast.) Not only is the record worth a listen (or two), it sounds like a worthwhile purchase to me. Highlights? "No Pussy Blues," "Depth Charge Ethel," "Love Bomb," and "Honey Bee."

Below is the video for Grinderman's "No Pussy Blues." Any thoughts?







I'll admit, I haven't really dug any post Birthday Party material until now (Question: What ever happened to Nick the Stripper?) I remember when I first listened to "Mutiny Sessions" a few years ago and was blown away by Cave and company. Mutiny Sessions lead me to Prayers On Fire which lead me to Junkyard which lead me to to Hee Haw, which ultimately solidified my appreciation for The Birthday Party. Long after the Birthday Party dissolved, I assumed, after listening to records like "The Boatman's Call" and "Nocturama," that Nick went soft. Apparently, that is not the case.

Viva La Grind!