Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You Have Been Disconnected



Being offered a free ticket for Klaxons at the El Rey, I accepted - not for the Klaxons, but to see Fist Fite, who I'd heard good things about and had missed several nights earlier at 6th St. To my disappointment, I arrived at the El Rey just as Fist Fite were finishing their set. Instead, for the relatively brief time I spent wandering the venue, I encountered the following:

1. "New Rave" - a genre dedicated by critics and fans to the headliner, Klaxons. A title so repulsive and meaningless simultaneously. A friend said it best when he asked, "Wasn't this band called Ima Robot?"
2. The singer of Fist Fite offering to start a fight with Kelly Osbourne, who was in attendance, for pleasure's sake.
3. The best music of the night were the tunes in between sets. I heard Moccasin (!!!), Spacemen 3, and Primal Scream, to name a few.
4. Little did I know, the DJ was Travis Keller.

No comments: